Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pimp your ride! Make it Green!

I guess one way we can think about being Green is everyday life activities.

While being bombarded with goals of having the fastest and flashiest cars, one often forgets how important our everyday actions can affect the environment.

I am guilty of over driving. I admit. However, I been enlightened and I have taken up steps to reduce my ecological footprint. I try to cycle as and when I can. I try to keep my RPM under 2000 if possible. I look forward to walking with friends for short journeys.

Other then my individual habits, I guess I have to share other possible methods one can reduce their ecological footprints.

Firstly, we should take public transport as and when we can. The concept is plain and simple. 1 engine to carry 45 passengers or 1 engine to carry 1 passenger. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell you which one is more fuel efficient.

Next, choose to drive more fuel efficient vehicles. There is only one rule in purchasing a car... Rule 1: STAY CLEAR OF SPORTS CARS AND SUVs. Enough said about the 'Don't Buys', now for the 'Do Buys'. Hybrids can help you cut down fuel consumption by half. Although, people do have worries about the higher start up cost and expensive repair cost of hybrid cars, I think the best way to test out Hybrid cars is to try it out yourself. Personally, I have not heard anyone complain much about the 'hybrid woes'. What is even more shocking is the lack of resale hybrid cars on the market, which speaks on its popularity with first time owners. If you do not wish to acquire a hybrid car due to its negative reputation, maybe try considering getting smaller CC cars which give you greater mileage. The Honda Jazz/Fit is one of the best example. Generally, getting a car which gives you 12 km per litre is fine, the Jazz/Fit gives you between 14 ~ 15 km per litre.

Another way to ride green is good driving habits. I think I am currently still very guilty of bad driving habits, so I shall share with you my wrong doings. Bad habit 1: travel with extra weight that is not needed. Do not treat your car like it is a store room, clear boot space to cut down energy consumed in transporting the unwanted weight. Bad habit 2: watch your RPM! Never attempt to over rev your engine, you will only be burning excessive energy. Bad habit 3: See that flashy car? or that rude driver? Never chase them down the street. Or trying to impress girls with your top speed? It is pointless, at the end of the day, you probably going to stop at the traffic light. So yar, thats about the bad habits I am trying to abandon. If you have more methods, do share!

Lastly, why not go totally green by reducing the number of hours or times you spent driving? Well for me, what I do is try not to drive to and fro from school. I try to make a trip to school, stay there for a few days, then return home. If you are unable to do such practices because of daily needs consider the following: Try going to the supermarket without your drive? Try going to the swimming pool without the car? Try going to the supper place with your bicycle instead of your car. The idea is possible everywhere and in most cases... all you got to do is TRY!

So... Start today, try to reduce your ecological impact, save cost on petrol, create a more sustainable future and lastly... change your perception about getting the coolest ride. After all, no Earth equals no land to build roads. No roads equals... haha

No comments: