Sunday, November 25, 2007

Plastic Surgery

Yar, cut down on the plastic, fellow earthlings!

Today I went for hall dinner and I was guilty of committing an act against the 'green' movement. I took a plastic spoon. Yar it is as simple as that.

I shall not explain why plastics are harmful to the environment... generally it is due to their non - biodegradable nature... It is more of the act that needs to be explained. Well, if you didn't realize, most people just dump/chuck their plastics some where after it was used once... even if they made a point to reuse... do they/we/me/you ever really get to reuse it? I don't think so right? It just sits there long enough... till it gets thrown... and ends up in some landfill dump.

In the mean time, consumers like us, just use/buy/take more plastics... So yar yars, my point... it is the act that encourages an unsustainable action... cos by they time we pass away... the plastic is still there. Not forgetting the capitalist industries see the need for plastic and continue producing them.

So what can we do?

Well first obviously is take less plastics... If you are taking away food back home to eat... refuse to take plastic cutlery and use our own cutleries. We can also help by reducing plastics by bringing our own bags to the super market or refuse to take plastic carriers if you can when you buy takeaway foods (I know my Sheares Hall friends practice this act when we go to the supermarket or takeaway food) If all of us practice this... then the capitalist minded stalls and supermarkets would not need to order more stocks of plastic stuff, like plastic bags or cutlery... this will in turn help a lot.

O... some supermarkets give a small token of you use your own bags... Ikea in Singapore charges you for plastic bags as well... If the food stalls ofter paper packaging... take those instead.

Second. Reduce the need for plastics by confirming you do not have the items already lying at home. What I do is, after every BBQ, I will consolidate all plastics and other reusable stuffs and keep them in a giant box to be reused at the next BBQ... so we save on the cost of the BBQ and we help reduce plastic consumption. Well you could also reduce the need to buy plastic cups or containers unless you really need them... Most households have too much plastics cups and containers anyway.

Lastly educate your friends and family members... Help spread the news and idea! That is always the last step... practice then preach... then people will believe in what you teach... these lessons above have been all taught to me by friends... come on share your creative ideas with your pals!

We need everyone if we are going to get on with this war to save planet earth... so start today!

No comments: