Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Lets talk about trash

What trash? I don't mean the physical substance you placed in your bins. That one is obvious, recycle as much as possible. This trash has more to do with email trash. Why emails?

To answer that why not consider what happens to 'supposed trash' aka mails that are not important? What happens to them actually?

Answer: they get stored in some server in god knows where... and as your 'supposed trash' grows... so does the physical space and numbers of servers needed. You will question... its only a few megabytes right?

Not really... because there are millions of people out there with this bad habit in everyday life. That is millions of megabytes being wasted. And that amounts to millions of dollars needed to produce those chips. Well, imagine what happens to the millions which could be channel in the global economy to help others... or the wasted millions needed just to start a production line which could help to reduce energy needed as well...

I can go on and on... but yars I think that is enough. Main point is start deleting past emails... Furthermore, with the clash of the Giant Email Providers: Yahoo vs Google etc. unlimited email space has been provided... well that makes the problem worst right? Do not take what is given for granted, that happens in our screwed up capitalist societies. Start saving the Earth and encourage sustainable living from small everyday practises, like clearing trash... and cyber trash.

2 comments:

[wins]* said...

uncle tan i think you're going to capture my full readership for this blog cos i'm totally pro going green! i'm pretty annoyed by non-green pratices though me being on the computer so many hours a day seriously seems to undermine my stand...

i'm waiting for the right inspiration to come to write articles on going green! we geographers have got to pave the way to increased awareness! yay i is proud of you!

Violet said...

Thanks winnie!

Haha I actually wanted to do something like that... but my concept is different... I just want to change and influence my friends... I don't think I can be like those people who actively push for green practices. But thank you for you support!